How To Choose A Junior Kayak
What features do you need to look for when choosing a junior kayak?
Are your kids growing up but not quite grown-up? Children might not leave home until they are 30 these days, but there is no reason they can’t leave the family kayak and learn how to paddle a junior kayak on their own.
So what kind of kayak is suitable for an independent young paddler? Not all kids are the same, so there is not a one-size-fits-all kayak, but there are definitely some key features that you don’t want to miss out on.
Here are the most important features to look for when choosing a junior kayak:
- Adult-Sized – this might seen counter-intuitive … but you don’t want your adolescent to grow out of their kayak in one growth spurt! It’s best to invest in an adult kayak with a large weight capacity, just in case your little angel turns into a 7-footer over the summer.
- Durable – Although it is a wonderful idea to teach your child to take care of their things, it is also wonderful to give them the freedom to have fun, without worrying about them doing any damage.
- Stable – having an easy-to-paddle kayak as a child’s first kayak is a safe way to start and will give you some peace of mind, letting them go solo.
- Lightweight – If you are teaching your child some independence, it is important for them to be able to do it all themselves, including carrying it to and from the water.
- Nimble – high energy kids like to explore, so they need a kayak that is easy to turn and small enough to get out of crevices.
Who knows, maybe a dose of independence will get them out of your house a bit earlier?
At Oz Inflatable Kayaks we are thrilled to help children and teens get into their own junior kayak!
To make it easier for parents, grand-parents, aunts, uncles and friends to get a suitable kayak for an excited youth, we created the Junior Unleashed Kayak Package.
It features the Firefly inflatable kayak, which has all these important features, and a selection of accessories to give your child the best possible introduction to kayaking.If you are looking for a kayak for an independent young paddler, click here to check out the Junior Unleased Kayak Package now